when luke & i first married, date nights were a top priority. dates were a way to demonstrate our love for one another & set aside our daily responsibilities to focus on our marital needs. we had a scheduled date night every week & we really thrived in our relationship when we made these intentional choices.
dates are still a priority in our marriage, but over the years we have allowed them to go unscheduled due to work responsibilities, farm chores & all the other stuff that comes with life. when we do go on a date, it's usually planned that evening because we're simply too tired to make dinner & wash dishes at home.
half asleep, we drag ourselves to a restaurant, somewhat engage in conversation (usually about work responsibilities, farm chores & so on...) & eat until we're miserably stuffed. sound familiar?
last week we decided enough was enough. we're ready to make dates a priority again. we scheduled a date night & went out for coffee. during coffee, we had fantastic conversation & brainstormed a list of activities that we both enjoyed doing together.
working within our budget of $40/month for dates, we compiled a list of meaningful date ideas that wouldn't break the bank. looking for date inspiration? below you'll find our list!
- enjoy a gourmet picnic of fancy cheeses, meats & olives in the park
- visit the farmers' market on saturday & enjoy brunch afterward (we've got a crush on the farmer's table cafe)
- rent a red box movie. purchase a bag of candy from the grocery store & make stovetop popcorn
- go on a long walk around the neighborhood (bring your cameras if you're photographers!)
- bring a quilt out to the backyard & look up at the stars
- go to a matinee movie & sneak in your own favorite sweet treats
- throw your water shoes & swimsuits in the back of the car. drive out to the nearest creek & play for hours
- make homemade cocktails & grill out on the back patio
- ride bikes while holding hands
- enjoy breakfast at your favorite cafe or bakery (we love little bread co.!)
- take a trip to your local bookshop. purchase a coffee & chat while flipping through magazines together.
- explore surrounding small towns
- build a sheet fort & watch a movie inside
- walk around downtown & visit the local shops
- attend outdoor concerts together
- purchase local theatre tickets & enjoy an evening of fantastic talent. theatresquared is our local theatre & we have enjoyed several of their shows! they're @theatresquared on IG.
- make an ice cream bar at home with your favorite toppings & enjoy a scoop together
- go to a u-pick berries farm & harvest berries during the summer months
- take dance classes together & show off your moves any chance you get
- share beers together at your local brewery or favorite bar
- sample your favorite dishes from local food trucks & carts
- schedule a day of fun in a new town (we love eureka springs & prairie grove!)
what are some of your favorite date ideas that are meaningful & don't break the bank? please share!