y'all. it's been crazy town over here.
while in europe, we had a major leak in our tub causing our one & only bathroom to need a complete remodel. think soggy floors & mold in the walls. so, we've been camped out at my in-law's for over a week.
of course, we've got tomatoes coming out of our eyeballs. in between tiling floors & picking out new paint, i've been spending lots of time in the kitchen.
thankfully for you & for me, i've found the easiest way to can tomatoes. this recipe breaks all the canning rules, but it's perfect for those busy days & it gets the job done.
the easiest way to can your tomato sauce
tomatoes, stems chopped off
1. gather as many tomatoes as can fit in your largest stainless steel pot. scrub your tomatoes & chop off the stems.
2. put your tomatoes in the pot, skin & seeds included (see- we are breaking all the rules, folks!)
3. put the stove on low, place the lid over your pot of tomatoes & allow your tomatoes to simmer for 24 hours. stir occasionally & yes - this requires that you go to sleep with the stove on.
4. wake up in the morning, check the tomatoes, stir a bit & crack the lid on the pot. this will allow moisture to escape.
5. allow the tomatoes to cook until most of the moisture is gone - about five hours - & the tomatoes are a mushy consistency.
6. at this point, prepare your jars & lids.
7. using your immersion blender or food processor, process your tomatoes to your desired consistency. once a tomato sauce-like consistency is reached, add salt & dried herbs to taste.
8. add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to your pint size jars & 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to your quart size jars. the amount of jars you need is based on how many tomatoes you process.
9. fill your jars with tomato sauce & process in the water bath canner.
10. label & store until winter. enjoy with pasta & sautéed veggies.
if in doubt, here are basic instructions for water bath canning.
my friends, i hope you find this recipe helpful! let me know if you try it! it makes canning tomatoes much more manageable during the crazy days of summer!