we are entering into a season of living more of our day out rather than in. when the spring rainstorms let up & allow it, you will find us puttering about the garden, sharing meals with others on the back patio, spending the evening around the bonfire & if we're lucky, running away to a nearby campsite for a weekend retreat.
we love easy, portable meals for sharing with others at home or packing up for a weekend getaway. today i thought i'd share our family favorite slow cooker chili recipe that's healthy, simple to prepare & ideal for on-the-go moments.
the morning of, i simply prep a bit of meat in our cast iron & then throw everything in the crockpot while i pull together breakfast & pour my coffee. right before dinnertime, i gather our enamelware cups with handles (ours are from 1canoe2 & they are so cute!), cloth napkins & utensils.
if we're on the go, i pack our chili up in thermoses & throw everything else in our vintage picnic basket. if we plan to share a meal at home with guests, i set up a little chili bar with all the toppings & invite our friends to gather by the bonfire with their hearty meals in hand!
it's such a fun way to enjoy a warm meal while soaking up the longer spring days! adapt our chili recipe to your liking & it's sure to become a meal plan staple.
our favorite slow cooker chili recipe
serves about 5-6
- 1 lb ground meat of choice (we prefer turkey or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon good olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 diced red, yellow or orange bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can cooked black beans
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 small can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 small can thick tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder & paprika (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. in a large cast iron skillet, heat up the oil & add your ground meat of choice. brown the meat until no pink is visible. 2. drain any excess fat from the skillet & add your browned meat to the crockpot. 3. sauté your chopped onions, minced garlic and diced bell pepper for just a couple of minutes & add on top of the meat in the crockpot. 4. add your black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce & seasonings to the crockpot & mix well. 5. cover & cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. 6. top with cilantro, salsa, lime & avocado. serve alongside tortilla chips & enjoy on the go or at home with others!