if you've been around these parts for any time at all, you'll quickly find out that i'm the gal trying to save a buck or two. i love a good bargain & i'll wake up at the crack of dawn on saturday for a promising yard sale. almost every single piece of furniture in our home is purchased secondhand & i'm pretty proud of that little known fact.
i am often asked how i find such great treasures while thrifting. today i am here to share my top tips for finding those affordable treasures while thrifting:
1. go often: i thrift or go to yard sales about three times a week. i have a schedule that i follow & a list of stores i visit on specific days. by visiting your local shops often, you'll find your own rhythm & favorite shops for certain items you're looking for on a regular basis.
2. know your location: knowing where to find the best secondhand treasures for the best deals is key. take a map or locate your gps app & hit the road. stop at every interesting yard sale you see. once you've explored your town & surrounding areas, you'll find the best places to shop. i visit yard sales every saturday in the same parts of town & i am rarely ever disappointed. find those hot spots in your area & get to thrifting!
3. shop smart: thrifting is in large part about finding a deal. sometimes i cannot live without an item & i purchase it for more than i'd otherwise pay. more often than not, though, i stick to a budget & only spend what i really think the item is worth. if i feel like a price isn't quite within my budget, i'll ask for a discount of about 30% off. if the seller won't budge, i pass. that means something better is just up the road, friend.
4. celebrate the quirky: thrifting is a fun way to express yourself within your home! i love purchasing items i normally wouldn't purchase or even see at a big box store. the bird chair on the left was purchased for just $5 at goodwill & adds such a pop of fun to our bedroom. don't be afraid to mismatch patterns & colors. if you love it, make it work within your home. don't be limited to what you think you should like.
5. see potential: thrifting has a lot to do with seeing the potential in an otherwise forgotten item. i picked up that dirty, old wooden box at a sale. i brought it home, cleaned it up & moved it into our living room. it now serves as our coffee table & it even has extra storage inside for board games. the glass bookshelf below now sits in our dining room with crates full of cloth napkins & hand towels. a bit of cleaning, a fresh layer of paint & a new perspective can turn a secondhand item into a gem perfect for your home.
6. have fun!: most importantly, have fun thrifting! invite a group of girlfriends or your mom to bring along on your thrifting adventures. personally, thrifting is my weekly retreat & i savor the quiet time walking down the aisles of my local thrift shop. it's my favorite hobby & i absolutely love the thrill of the junk hunt.
what are your top tips for thrifting? please share!