our kitchen remodel: before & after


when we moved into our home this past july, i had big plans to turn this place into a cozy farmhouse. sometimes i feel like there are too many unfinished projects & we haven't completed much of anything since moving in. then i look at the "before" photos & i am reminded of how much we have completed in just nine short months & on a budget. 

today i thought i'd share the before & after of our kitchen remodel with you!


when we bought this house, it just wasn't "us." the cabinets were dark wood & the kitchen felt too small. the walls were green & a little too dark for my preference. i am happy to say that our home has evolved from dark & plain to light & cheery!  


being on a budget means you have to prioritize what you want. for example, i wanted concrete countertops & subway tiles. after evaluating the budget, i realized we couldn't justify the expense. there are a few things i would love to change about our kitchen, but it's a space that makes me happy. it's functional & beautiful & i am grateful to call it ours. 

here are a few more details about our kitchen...


it took a handful of girlfriends & me about 18 hours to paint all of the cabinets white ("ultra white" by benjamin moore). we painted the walls a soft light blue ("stillness" by valspar). i got all of the kitchen cabinet knobs & pulls from home depot for around $2.50 - $3.50 each. 


the light fixture is made with a light kit & a vintage basket turned upside down. i decided to remove all of the doors from the upper cabinets to give the kitchen more of an airy feel & to display some of my pretties. 


i collect old things from flea markets, thrift shops & yard sales so most of the items found around our kitchen are vintage. the "everyone loves pie" print is from 1canoe2. the succulents are planted in old coffee cans. 


i had the kitchen cart custom made by our dear friends, noble dwelling. it is made of salvaged metal, barn wood & upcycled wheels. you will find me most of the day cutting vegetables & preparing our meals right here. i also love old jars. i have collected them for years. all of our bulk items are placed in jars found secondhand. 

all in all, our kitchen remodel cost about $300, which includes paint, hardware, and light fixtures. it took us about two weeks to complete this project. i am thrilled with the results & i hope you love them, too!
love,
natalie

p.s. here's the link to our coffee bar if you're interested!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

this is seriously amazing -- especially on that budget!!! I love the open cabinets up top. And that cart... so perfect!!!

Kelsey said...

What a beautiful transformation! It's bright, cheery, and cozy, what a perfect place to cook and gather.

Bella Vita Jewelry said...

Natalie it is so beautiful!
We are in the process of buying a house at the moment and I can't wait to add my touch to it! Your ideas are very inspirational!!! Its good to know you can do all of that on a budget too! <3

IK said...

I absolutely love your kitchen! This summer marks the end of my renting era, we've bought our own apartment and I can't wait to start decorating it. Your coffee bar looks amazing and I am looking all over the internet, flea markets and antique shops to find items to fit into mine, I think it's such an awesome idea! I also love how you put all your dried goods in jars, and I've started to hoard jars of my own so I can do the same. Thanks for the great inspiration!

Heidi Joe said...

What a great and inspiring place to cook! You guys did an fantastic job... I just love all of your vintage touches.

Elise said...

Your kitchen is so beautiful!!! We painted the cabinets in our little rental and it's amazing how much it brightened up the kitchen! Wish I had been so smart in our first home. Ha! The floral print in the first pic...is it vintage or can I find it somewhere now? Thanks so much!
Elise

Kim Still said...

Love it! We close on our house tomorrow and the kitchen needs some serious love. Your dream remodel sounds about what mine would be, but it's amazing to see what you did with just $300!

Are the floors and countertops the original ones then?

Natalie Freeman said...

kim, they are! - n

Natalie Freeman said...

elise, the floral art is from a yard sale! it doesn't have a brand on it, but it looks to be new. - n

Anonymous said...

So bright and fresh! Your decorating is so honest, I love it! Are you still working on your household notebook? I am as well, and am excited to see how yours turns out!:)

Lauren said...

I absolutely love your kitchen. It is such a bright, cheerful, happy place! You did a great job making it over into the perfect space for you.

Meg said...

This is so awesome! I love everything about it!!

Erin said...

Beautiful! And now I want to paint my kitchen. :)

Christy @ MCH PHOTOGRAPHY said...

What a simple yet stunning transformation!! I am loving that island

Brittany said...

It's so happy!!! You've inspired me and given me hope for my dated and dark little kitchen! ...but we rent so no painting :(

Caitlin said...

Every time you show new pictures of your home, I can't help but think we are design twins! I love all the details and the cozy farmhouse feel. You are so talented in creating a nice home :)

rebecca said...

love this. truly has inspired me to freshen up our kitchen a bit!

Elise said...

Thanks so much for responding, Natalie!
Elise

Unknown said...

I like how you transformed your kitchen into a cheerful one. It’s so vibrant and full of character. The kitchen definitely become yours! Thanks for sharing this!

Paddy Wright

Bespoke Kitchens makers in Cumbernauld said...

Your kitchen remodelling inspired to make my kitchen new again.And that too with the white colour.I am not my way to remodel my kitchen in Cumbernauld.

Ideal Home Improvement said...

Looks great! Lighter colors are often more welcoming. And at just $300- great job!

Grace said...

I absolutely adore your style. Did you put in anything in the bottom of your coffee cans, with the succulents, to keep it from rotting or leaking? Thanks!

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips